Hi! My name is Vyacheslav Maltsev and I am the developer of Wahapedia website. I've designed Wahapedia as a handy tool for the beginners to get into complex Warhammer tabletop universe. And it is Universe indeed! For example Warhammer 40,000 comprises 38 factions, more than 100 codexes/supplements, over 2000 unit profiles and about 4000 special rules.
I started to work on the site in 2013. Google Sites has been chosen as a platform for its ability to edit pages via browser and for free hosting without any ads. At the beginning I just typed text into pages using Google Sites tools. I asked for help on Warforge forum and lots of people lend me a helping hand. But still I had to spend much time on the pages adjustment.
After two years of development I have come to an idea of data-driven website. Frankly, I am not a web-designer. I am database programmer and have chosen the instrument which I know better: 1C:Enterprise. Shortly, the meaning is:
- Input codex data into appropriate database tables.
- Generate HTML-code based on database data.
- Upload HTML-code into the appropriate page on website.
This approach allowed me to unify the style for all pages and significantly reduce the time of creating a web page. Previously building a complete codex took 2 months, now it takes 1 week. The work with the database requires specific knowledge, so I refused help of Warforge comrades. However, I am extremely grateful to them for their support during the initial stage of the site’s life.
Eith edition released in june 2017. All codexes had to be re-input once again. Simultaneously I worked on modifying 1C:Wahapedia database code. The bulk of indexes have been implemented by the end of 2017. Now, when the Games Workshop announced 9th edition of the Warhammer 40,000 rules. I have to start over. Its not first time for me since I support Wahapedia since 6th edition.
Many may ask, "Is it legal?" I do not think so. If the Games Workshop finds this site and considers it to be dangerous for their business the company will require site’s closure. However, I would like to say a few words in defense of my offspring:
- The site does not store any codexes’ scans. Pictures from rulebooks are used only to illustrate the rules of the game.
- The site does not contain a literary component (background) of codexes. The exception is the text of no more than 1-2 paragraphs to describe special rules, wargear and missions.
- I do not plan to include any advertising on the site or enable a paid subscription. Using of the site is completely free (donations doesn’t count).
- In the end GW will receive benefit from this site, as beginners will learn the game easily. Also you still have to pay for paints and miniatures – you can’t download it from the Internet.
– But still. What if GW will send you a "love letter"? – you may ask. For this question, I have some answers:
- Site moved out of British Themis’ reach, in the .ru segment. Hosting also situated in Russia. Until I’m not using this site for selling weapons to terrorists and store porn - I’m absolutely fine.
- I am citizen of another country and I’m not going to travel in GB.
- I can lock site on a password that will be changed from time to time. New password would be sent to trusted users only or published on some source with limited access (such as Patreon).
- In worst case it is possible to go offline - put site on some torrent or other file storage. You will have to download it every time site recieves an update
Like the site? Think it’s useful? Support it!
There are several ways in which you can support the Wahapedia development:
- Report mistakes. I love to receive error messages from users, since each bugfix makes Wahapedia even better! Fixing an error usually takes up to 24 hours.
- Share your ideas. Found forgotten datasheet? Have an idea to make site more handy? You are welcome to drop me a letter or contact me in social media.
- Give some of your money. Donation is the most powerful motivator for my daily struggle for data relevance and integrity of the site.
The soldiers of the Wahapedian Detachment make up the vast bulk of the Imperial war machine. It is they who lay down their lives on every battlefront to hold the line against tides of mutants, monsters and heretics. Yet even amongst the tragically expendable masses of the Imperial Guard, there are elite warriors that stand ready to deploy.
Those of Wahapedia users who pledged themselves (donated) to build better future of Warhammer gaming community and gave their blood (money) to uphold data servitors are worthy special chapter of the site.
Patreon members recieve place in Wahapedian Detachment according to tiers they have chosen:
|Tier||Pledge per month|